If you’re like me, you see posts about masculine and feminine energy all over social media.
You’re probably scratching your head thinking: Aren’t these just stereotypes? What could this possibly have to do with ancient yogic wisdom?
Let me explain. Even though tantra often gets associated only with the bedroom, there’s actually SO much more wisdom lying within tantric philosophy.
I want to unpack this for you so you can get a full understanding of masculine and feminine energies, and incorporate this knowledge into every area of your life, on and off the mat.
Let’s dive in!
Masculine And Feminine Energy According To Tantric Philosophy
Tantric philosophy is based on one simple core belief: the body is liberation.
You’re probably thinking: Wait, what?! Hear me out…
Before tantric philosophy emerged in the 6th century, the focus in yoga was always on going UP — transcending the body and achieving enlightenment. The body in many ways was the enemy.
Enter tantra in 500 CE. Now, the focus has become on the body as a vessel for enlightenment. The focus on yoga became to go UP and connect with universal wisdom, but then, to bring that spark DOWN into everyday life. To go up and bring wisdom back down.
Now, with this in mind, tantric philosophy states that all of creation – the universe and you and me – are a dynamic interplay of opposing yet complementary forces.
Can you guess what those forces are? (wink, wink).
Masculine and feminine energy.
Masculine energy (Shiva energy) represents stillness, consciousness, and awareness. It’s focused on the big picture and power.
Feminine energy (Shakti energy) represents the pulsating, fluid, and creative power of life. It’s always changing, moving, pulsating and yearning (without grasping). It’s focused on being able to dream big and create beauty.
In order to achieve a sense of wholeness, we must embrace both within our own being. We must experience ourselves as Shakti being filled or experienced by Shiva.
I want to help you understand, embrace, and harmonize these energies within yourself. Because both parts are in a constant dance anyway, it’s essential to learn how to balance them.
First, let’s take a look at how each of these energies exist on their own.
Masculine energy is the primal energy in all of creation that’s associated with freedom, action, confidence, protection, and logical reasoning. Masculine energy is not limited by gender.
This energy is based in the rational mind. Masculine energy likes logic and reason, order, and problem-solving.
Qualities And Benefits Of Masculine Energy
Masculine traits include:
- Goal oriented
- Being protective
- Having a healthy competitiveness
- Being action-oriented
- Being very disciplined
Divine masculine energy craves freedom, space, and to be grounded. The ultimate goal for masculine energy is to have a problem be solved.
Signs Masculine Energy is Out of Balance
In our modern world, it’s easy for masculine energy to get out of balance. Here are some signs that your masculine energy may be out of balance:
- Living in hustle mode
- Being totally vegged out
- Excessive aggression
- Disconnected from emotions
- Inability to rest and workaholism
- Lack of compassion
- Fear of vulnerability
- Obsession with control
It’s important to note that these signs are not exclusive to gender, but are related to the balance of masculine energy traits within each of us. Noticing if any of these signs of imbalance arise in your life (I know they have in mine!) can help you get back into balance and step into your true power.
Now, let’s take a look at the other primal energy…
Feminine energy is the primal energy in all of creation that’s associated with intuition, creative energy, nurturing, receptivity, and emotional connection. Again, feminine energy is not limited by gender. We all have both, dancing with each other throughout our days.
This energy is based in the heart. Feminine energy likes beauty, feelings, and natural rhythms.
Qualities And Benefits Of Feminine Energy
Feminine traits include:
- Being intuitive
- Nurturing yourself and others
- Attuned to emotions
- Ability to receive
- Community focused
Divine feminine energy craves to be loved, ravished, and is never satiated. The ultimate goal for feminine energy is to be fully felt, seen, and expressed.
Signs Feminine Energy is Out of Balance
Just like our masculine energy can get out of balance, so can our feminine energy. Here are some signs that your feminine energy may be out of balance:
- Not knowing what you want
- Feeling like a victim or martyr
- Feeling like a hot mess
- Overly passive behavior
- Neglecting the self
- Inability to set boundaries
- Fear of confrontation
- Lack of direction
- Difficulty in receiving
Remember, these signs are not exclusive to any gender identity. Noticing signs of balance or imbalance is simply information to help you find better balance. Self awareness is key in noticing certain qualities within yourself.
Achieving balance between both masculine and feminine energy traits is about integrating the receptive and nurturing aspects of feminine energy to harmonize with the active and focused qualities of masculine energy.
The goal is to create an equilibrium between the two that supports your personal growth and fulfillment.
How do you do that? Let me show you!
Finding Your Unique Balance
Think of balancing your masculine and feminine energies as the greatest love story ever told, happening within you. It’s the reclaiming of your feminine and masculine energy, so you can harness your full life force, which consists of both.
When inner polarities are dancing, playing, and harmonizing with each other, you’re able to show up as your best and brightest, most filled up self and your relationships benefit too!
How do these two polar opposites exist together?
Your feminine energy is about owning your desires and identifying what you want. Your desires inspire your masculine energy to take action from a place of deep devotion. Think of it as allowing your masculine energy to be of service and support your feminine energy’s dreams, all from a place of love.
The harmonious dance of both feminine and masculine energies within you happens when your feminine inspires your masculine.
This process is an ongoing journey of self discovery and the goal is to feel harmonious throughout your daily life.
To learn how to live in harmony, we have to identify what’s blocking your internal balance first.
The Society Gender Problem
Unfortunately, our modern world has a very distorted understanding of feminine and masculine energy. From a young age, we’re told we are just ONE of these two energies – that someone is “a man” or “a woman.” Unfortunately, women often suffer from this rigid gender structure the most.
From birth, we’re pushed into stereotypes, like “men should be silent and strong” and “women should be good girls and serve others.” Social norms have led us to believe that only men are physically strong and that women (and women’s brains) lack project focus and logic.
These gendered stereotypes are so different from the true essence of masculine and feminine energy, which are not related to biological sex or even sexual attraction. They are both so much deeper and profound than the rigid, clear-cut definition that’s dominant in our world. Their composition ranges in various amounts within each person, woman and man alike.
When we fall into the trap of gender stereotypes, we get pulled out of our unique energy frequency. The truth is these energies defy gender, defy boxes, and come into being through you. To be spiritual is to master both of these and not fall into the trap of either one.
The good news is you have the ability to do things differently and create a loving relationship between these two powerful forces within yourself.
Ways To Integrate Your Energy
Every moment is a dance between inviting in more masculine energy or more feminine energy.
Each of us are wired differently, so you may have a dominant energy that needs more attention, while the other energy flows freely.
In Chinese medical theory, they do this by balancing yin and yang. Yin refers to the feminine, receptive, and nurturing energy, while yang refers to the masculine, active, and focused energy. The way they integrate these parts is by focusing on the greater and lesser energies of both:
- Greater yin is the most embodied form of the feminine, which represents the essence of the cosmic mother and the source of life. Lesser yin still retains the same nature, but incorporates more action, reflecting the delicate equilibrium between the masculine and feminine forces. Lesser yin is an example of integrating both the yin and the yang.
- Greater yang energy is the most active form of the masculine, representing expansive, outward movement and the peak of focus. Lesser yang still has the same qualities, but incorporates some of the greater yang along with more creativity, bringing in some feminine energy to level things out.
I share this example to show you how delicate and nuanced this process can be. It’s not about embodying only one or the other, but incorporating both into your day.
In our modern society, masculine energy tends to dominate since our daily lives are filled with go-go-go action and usually lived at a faster pace. Bringing in more feminine energies can help you find a healthy work life balance.
Here are some tips balancing your energy:
Balancing Masculine Energy
If you feel your masculine energy going off kilter, try this:
- Take Mindful Action: Step out of hustle mode and take purposeful actions, focusing on quality rather than quantity.
- Healthy Boundaries: Establish and maintain healthy boundaries in relationships and work to avoid burnout and overwhelm.
- Get Your Feelings Out: Allow yourself to express and connect with your emotions, whether through journaling, talking to a trusted friend, or a licensed therapist.
- Rest and Recharge: Schedule in rest and recovery to avoid overworking and allow time for relaxation. You deserve it!
- Openness to Receiving: Practice being open to receiving support, help, and positive feedback from others. You don’t have to do it all on your own.
Balancing Feminine Energy
If you feel your feminine energy becoming unsteady, try this to tap into your feminine energy:
- Self-Care: Prioritize self-care activities that nourish your physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Take a bath, do a relaxing 20-minute yoga practice, skip cooking and order takeout.
- Set Intentions and Create Structures: Set clear intentions for your actions, helping to create a sense of direction and purpose in your life. If you tune into your desires, you can create a list of your desired outcomes. This will help your masculine energy know what to take action on. A win-win!
- Use Your Voice: Develop assertiveness in communication and decision-making, ensuring your needs are expressed and acknowledged. By knowing and stating your needs, you allow your masculine energy to show up in service of your feminine energy.
- Creativity and Play: Don’t forget to have fun! Your feminine energy loves to be creative and spontaneous. Engage in activities that bring sheer joy and playfulness into your life, like joining a tennis league for women or getting some oracle cards to play with your intuition.
- Grounding Practices: Meditation, yoga, or spending time in nature will help you stay connected and centered – and out of hot mess mode.
Really, the best way to keep your masculine and feminine parts aligned is to spend time being self aware. Moment by moment you get to decide: Do I need to bring in more masculine energy or more feminine energy?
Hold space for both to step forward when needed. The relationship between the two is one of the most important ones you’ll ever cultivate! And it will benefit all your interactions with others, especially your intimate relationships. Balancing your own energy isn’t just about individual achievements, but truly benefiting the world around you.
- If you’re interested in practical kriya yoga as a way to improve your daily life and relationships, check out my Yoga for Self Mastery course.
- Explore my knowledge hub for How to Become a Yoga Teacher
- Check out my YouTube channel and find some yoga classes that you can try out for yourself!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- 5 Healing Crystals For Feminine Energy
- Masculine And Feminine Energy: Find Your Unique Balance
- 9 Signs of a Divine Feminine Awakening
- 21 Powerful Daily Affirmations For Healing
- Signs Of Blocked Feminine Energy (And How To Unblock It)
- How To Tap Into Your Feminine Energy
- 35 Daily Affirmations For Women That Will Empower You
- Can We Do Yoga During Periods? Here’s The Yoga Philosophy
- Affirmations And Yoga Poses For Gratitude
- Yoga For Piriformis Syndrome: 8 Poses To Relieve Pain
- Yoga For Self Love: A Practice for Healing, Growth, and Transformation
- Yoga For PCOS: Yoga Practice To Manage Symptoms
- How Yoga For Trauma Release Works (Uplifted Perspective)
- Yoga For Third Trimester: My Favorite Poses
- 10 Yoga Poses That Will Strengthen The Pelvic Floor
- Yoga For Nausea: 7 Yoga Poses For A Sore Stomach
- Yoga for Thyroid: 10 Poses For Relief
- Yoga For Endometriosis: 7 Poses for Pain Management
- 9 Yoga Poses For PMS For A Smoother Cycle
- Yoga For Emotional Release: 8 Postures For Peace
- Yoga For Fertility: 10 Yoga Poses For Fertility Support
- Yoga for Bloating: 9 Yoga Poses for Relief
- Yoga For Depression: 10 Poses For Emotional Relief
- 10 Yoga Poses For Period Cramps That Will Ease The Pain
- Yoga For Women: 10 Yoga Poses For Every Stage Of Life