Opening throat chakra symptoms can be a liberating experience. To understand what that looks and feels like, let’s take some time to understand how the throat chakra works and how to recognize balances, imbalances, and opening throat chakra symptoms.
What Is The Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)?
The fifth chakra is located in the throat area of the body. It is currently represented by the color blue and represents the element ether(space).
The throat chakra’s Sanskrit name is Vishuddha. Vishuddha translates to pure or purification. I like to remember that this chakra purifies our communication. Symptoms of a blocked throat chakra manifest as unpurified communication.
The throat chakra is the gateway to the third eye chakra and the crown chakra. If the energy flow is stuck on a blocked Vishuddha chakra it will be difficult for energy to flow to the upper chakras. The fifth chakra is a vital energy center for allowing your spiritual energy to flow and grow!
Understanding the chakra system has so much to offer you personally, that’s why I have created a free 7-day chakra challenge for diving deep into how all the chakras can work for you in your daily life!
Recognizing a Balanced Throat Chakra
An open-throat chakra allows us to communicate effectively. You will be speaking the truth and your listening (because this chakra is about hearing as much as it is about speaking) skills will be sharp. This balanced throat chakra energy encourages clear communication.
If you’re thinking “I’m not always the best at communicating”, throat chakra healing could be what you need to become a better communicator.
Want to know what your dominant chakra is? Find out now!
Take my chakra quiz to find your dominant chakra:
Recognizing An Imbalanced Throat Chakra
There are two extremes to a blocked throat chakra, balance is somewhere in the middle. A deficient throat chakra does not have enough energy; An excessive chakra has too much. To heal the throat chakra you want to find your personal sweet spot.
Note on the list of symptoms: These are the extreme ends of the scale. If you recognize yourself in either category, know that you are not alone. Nothing is wrong with you, each one of us has to find our own recipe for personal growth. My hope is that this list will allow you to recognize what you need to find your perfect well-being.
Additionally, you may recognize these symptoms in friends, co-workers, or loved ones. Share this article if you think someone in your life could use some throat chakra opening.
Signs You Have Deficient Energy In The Throat Chakra
- You struggle to express your true self: This could be an internal struggle or it could manifest in your external world. It is a likely symptom of a blocked throat chakra if you feel you can’t be yourself.
- You worry about public speaking: Whether it is a group of 4 on Zoom or 100 people at an in-person seminar, speaking in front of others can trigger the sympathetic nervous system in some people. Recently 29% of Americans surveyed said they were afraid or very afraid of public speaking. That is almost 1 in 3 people, so if you struggle with this fear you are not alone.
- You are the shy one: When you get out there in public you lack self-confidence. You notice that you may not express your opinions or speak up in a group setting. Your inner voice may be telling you that your ideas don’t matter. If you do choose to speak up, you feel unheard.
- You have trouble setting boundaries: It is hard for you to say “No” when you want to or you cannot be assertive regarding your limits.
- You feel inauthentic: You may be able to find a voice but you are more concerned with telling people what they want to hear rather than speaking the truth.
- You lack creativity: If you are struggling through a creativity block, you’ll want to get your throat chakra open to allow your best creativity to come out.
Signs You Have Excessive Energy In The Throat Chakra
- You talk A LOT: If you avoid silence by filling it with useless words, this might be you. You love talking so much that it can be hard to listen. You may dominate conversations, interrupt others, or disregard the input of others.
- You speak without thinking: The words in your head have slipped off your tongue before you’ve even thought them all the way through. This can have lasting impacts on relationships if you say the wrong thing to the wrong person.
- You aren’t good at keeping secrets: Keeping personal information private is a struggle for you. Just as above the information may slip out before you realize it was meant to be private.
- You lack empathy: You struggle to understand the point of view of others. Your active listening skills are underdeveloped. This symptom can cause relationships to suffer if those around you are not feeling heard by you.
Physical symptoms of a blocked throat chakra
When it comes to the physical body symptoms of a blocked throat chakra they can be similar on both ends of the scale. If you have any of these medical symptoms, I suggest opening the throat chakra in addition to medical attention.
- sore throat
- mouth ulcers
- frequent throat infections
- excessive coughing
- Thyroid gland irregularity (The thyroid gland lives in the throat region)
- Stiff neck muscles
Opening Throat Chakra Symptoms
Now that you have all the details on how the throat chakra works and what an imbalanced Vishuddha chakra looks like, let’s go over what it might actually feel like as this communication center begins to open.
- Your voice is strong
- You communicate your true self-expression
- Your listening skills nurture your relationships
- You make decisions easily
If this doesn’t quite ring true for you, then let’s dig a little deeper into your throat chakra.
To understand how the energy flows through your throat chakra, answer these questions:
- On a scale of 1-10, where would you rate your communication skills?
- Do you communicate elegantly or are you more often fumbling over the words?
- Are you speaking the truth more than not?
- Do you feel like you are able to express yourself freely?
Your answers to the above will give you an idea of the flow of energy in the throat chakra.
How To Open The Throat Chakra
Opening your throat chakra, and keeping it open, can be supported with a few yogic practices, which I’ll outline now.
Starting with a throat chakra meditation is a great first step to allow for opening throat chakra symptoms. This meditation is specifically for the throat chakra. It will encourage Vishuddha’s opening and begin to shift the energy of the throat area into balance.
If you prefer to meditate unguided may I suggest focusing on the aquamarine color blue and your breath in and out through the throat chakra. I also like to release tension in the neck by doing shoulder shrugs: pull the shoulder blades up on the inhale and drop them down on the exhale.
A daily affirmation practice will alleviate some emotional symptoms. Daily affirmations can improve your internal dialogue and self-esteem. Check out these self-esteem affirmations.
If you have an excessive throat chakra, you may want to use an affirmation such as “I am a great listener” to gain improved listening skills.
Read more about affirmations specifically for an open-throat chakra.
The throat is the origin of our sound. Chanting can stimulate and shift the energy of the throat. You can use the mantra Ham (rhymes with thumb) which is the seed vibration or another bija mantra (like om) for this chakra. Really, making any kind of sound, whether it be chanting or singing or even just yelling in the privacy of your home is going to work to heal this chakra.
As I suggested in this blog post if you place your hands over your throat while you are chanting you may feel the positive energy shifting and moving.
If you have a deficient throat chakra, chanting will be especially helpful in finding your voice.
Aromatherapy can be used to open and align an imbalanced throat chakra. Some of my favorite essential oils for an open-throat chakra are…
- Lavender: Lavender oil is known for its calming and soothing properties. It can help reduce stress and anxiety, allowing for more open and relaxed communication.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus oil is associated with clarity and purity. Inhaling its scent is believed to promote clear thinking and facilitate honest self-expression.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil is invigorating and refreshing. It may help improve concentration and mental clarity, making it easier to articulate thoughts and ideas.
Just as we have energy centers, so do crystals. You can use their energy system for your own personal growth. My favorite stones for throat chakra opening are…
- Lapis Lazuli – This blue stone is associated with wisdom, truth, and spiritual insight. Use it to help promote self-awareness and guide your inner wisdom.
- Blue Lace Agate – This light blue stone is extremely soothing and known for its calming abilities. Use it to calm your emotional symptoms allowing free self-expression.
- Aquamarine – This beautiful blue-green stone is regularly associated with clarity and clear communication. The throat chakra opens easily with this stone by your side.
Yoga asana allows chakra healing throughout the human body. The best yoga poses for throat chakra opening are…
Cat–Cow Pose (Marjaryasana-Bitilasana) – This spinal stretch will stimulate the flow of energy throughout the chakras. If you focus on the cervical spine (neck vertebrae) this will allow the throat chakra energy to move in new ways.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) – This pose strengthens the neck and shoulders. It will stir the life force within you initiating the fifth chakra opening.
Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana) – This pose increases blood circulation in the throat region. The fresh oxygen will refresh the chakra area.
Communication is a critical aspect of the human experience. Even cavemen communicated with pictures and now we still do ✌
If you struggle with communicating in any way, consider some of the chakra-opening suggestions so you can enjoy the throat chakra-opening symptoms. Any intentional effort to improve your communication will be beneficial to you.
Plus once the throat chakra is open the kundalini energy is free to slither up to the higher states of consciousness…
- Explore my Chakras knowledge hub to learn more about the Chakras from the blog.
- Check out my YouTube channel and find some yoga classes that you can try out for yourself!
- Join Uplifted for exclusive chakra content that you can access right from the app. Take a deep dive into your practice with me this year!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Third Eye Chakra Opening Symptoms And How To Open Your Sixth Chakra
- Opening Crown Chakra Symptoms And How To Balance Sahasrara Chakra
- Opening Root Chakra Symptoms And How To Balance Muladhara
- Symptoms Of Heart Chakra Opening And How To Balance Anahata Chakra
- Sacral Chakra Awakening Symptoms And How To Balance Svadhisthana Chakra
- Physical Symptoms Of Solar Plexus Chakra Opening
- Opening Throat Chakra Symptoms And How To Balance Vishuddha Chakra
- Chakra Opening Symptoms: Signs You’re Unblocking Your Chakras