(Bitilasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Cow Pose Prep & Practice
Come to a tabletop position, taking the shoulders over the wrists and hips directly over the knees. Take the hands shoulder width apart and bring the knees hips distance.
Press down evenly through the hands and spread the fingers wide. Curl the toes under.
On an inhalation, lower the belly as the abs stay engaged.
Open up through the chest sending the heart forward and your shoulders down and back.
To come out of this posture use an exhalation to draw the belly back into a neutral tabletop position. Bring the head back in line with the spine.
- Bring a folded blanket under the knees
- Practice on forearms
- Practice in a seated position
- For weak wrists, make fists with the hands
- Squeeze a block between the thighs
- Spinal Injury
- Weak wrists
- Knee Injury
- Neck Injury
Mountain Pose (Tadasana), Extended Standing Pose (Urdhva Hastasana), Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana), Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana), Cow and Cat Pose (Bitilasana and Marjaryasana) 3x, Puppy Pose (Uttana Shishosana), Sphinx Pose (Salamba Bhujangasana), Child’s Pose (Balasana)
Try Cow Pose On The Blog
- Six Essential Prenatal Yoga Poses for a Powerful Birth
- 5 Tips For Building Creative (And Safe) Yoga Sequences
- A Slow, Sweet Hatha Yoga Sequence for Beginners [+VIDEO]
- Svadisthana: Sacral Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Chakra Yoga: The Best Yoga Poses To Balance Your 7 Chakras
- Yoga for Lower Back Pain: 7 Poses That Have Your Back