Root chakra affirmations are for everyone. Whether you’re a yogi or not, we all face times when we feel stressed, overwhelmed, or stuck – all feelings that can be linked to an imbalanced root chakra.
Luckily, Yoga provides us with powerful tools to manage situations like that. One of them is positive affirmations. A balanced root chakra is not only essential for a healthy body, but also for good mental health (yes, the psychologists agree!). And who wouldn’t want that? In this post, we’ll dive into how we can use root chakra affirmations to heal muladhara root chakra.
Tap Into Your Root Chakra
The Sanskrit word chakra translates to “wheel” or “disk”. We often interpret chakras as wheels of energy spinning in our subtle body.
The root chakra represents our connection to mother earth, our survival instincts, and individuality. It’s the energy center responsible for making us feel secure and grounded.
Just like a tree with weak or rotten roots can’t grow strong and develop to its full potential, if your root chakra is imbalanced, it’ll affect your whole chakra system. Check out our 7 day chakra challenge to learn more about healing your chakras.
Affirmations to Stabilize Your First Chakra
Affirmations are a powerful tool to organize our thoughts. Unlike mantras in which we use the vibrational frequency of sound to bring us in harmony with the universe, affirmations are positive statements to rewrite the thought patterns in our mind.
Root chakra healing is particularly important since it’s the foundation for all the other chakras and our overall well being. Read our previous article on chakra affirmations to learn more.
Become Aware of Deeply Rooted Patterns
It’s important to remember that an affirmation cannot be a lie to yourself. If you’re having dysfunctional relationships, telling yourself that “I am in a healthy relationship” completely ignores the facts.
Instead your affirmation might be “I have the strength to let go of this relationship” or “I am worthy of love and appreciation”.
Root chakra affirmations are about your basic needs for survival. If your affirmation is a lie to yourself about what is actually going on in your life (in terms of eating, sleeping, exercising, housing, financial security, safety), it’s probably time to make a change (if possible).
Besides sticking to facts, make sure your affirmations use positive words and are stated in the present tense. It isn’t helpful to hang on to the past. Instead, sit with it and ask yourself what you have learned from those experiences. Once you’ve gone over that, let it go while still keeping the lesson. Sometimes this can be uncomfortable, but it will help you to reprogram your subconscious mind for the better.
Signs of Root Chakra Blockage
Chakras are in an ongoing state between balance and imbalance. Like standing at the very tip of a mountain summit trying not to slip off either way, our chakras can become underactive (a blockage of energy) or overactive (distribution of too much energy). Root chakra imbalance can manifest itself on a physical and emotional level.
Symptoms of an Under-active Root Chakra
- Feeling weak or uncomfortable in your physical body. A balanced root chakra makes you feel grounded and centered. If it’s blocked, you may lack strength and no longer have the endurance for activities that you usually enjoy.
- Self-doubt. A blocked root chakra can make it hard to see your own worth. Your boundaries might become weak or undefined. You might even feel like we don’t belong.
- Low self-esteem. A balanced root chakra is our foundation to confidence and feeling safe, so if you notice a lack in that foundation, you maybe have an underactive root chakra.
Symptoms of an Overactive Root Chakra
- Egoism and greed. When energy flows too much in the root chakra, you might lose sight of the world around you and become self-centered.
- Feeling heavy and stiff. When your root chakra becomes overactive, you might find yourself becoming lazy or stagnating. Some might even encounter constipation, weight problems, or joint troubles – all signs of too much energy that can’t flow properly.
- Impatience. When the root chakra is imbalanced, it’s not uncommon to become easily annoyed with people and situations.
15 Root Chakra Affirmations to Land Right Where You Are
Repeating affirmations is what makes them most powerful. Commit to a daily practice like adding this to your morning routine to set you up for the day. Below are some powerful root chakra affirmations to help you release negative thoughts and feelings such as anxiety or stress:
1. I have the strength to let go of doubts and fear.
2. I trust my body that it keeps me safe.
3. I am whole exactly as I am.
4. Everything I need comes to me at the right time and place.
5. I am grounded and connected to the earth below me.
6. I am worthy of love and respect.
7. I am able to choose what is right for me.
8. I am in charge of my life.
9. I have the ability to be financially secure.
10. I deserve to be safe at all times.
11. I allow myself to feel supported by those around me.
12. I can create the change I want to see.
13. I take responsibility for who I am and how I choose to live my life.
14. I love and respect who I am.
15. I do the best I can.
Remember just like practicing Yoga, it’s through commitment and regularity that you’ll get the most benefits long term. Daily affirmations don’t require much time and the more you do it, the easier it’ll become. If you would like to try combining them with Yoga poses, read our previous article on how to use Yoga poses to balance your chakras.