(Uttanasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Easy Pose Prep & Practice
Beginning in Mountain pose (Tadasana) at the top of the mat. On an inhalation, arms sweep slightly forward and up, fingers reaching toward the ceiling, coming into Extended Standing Pose (Urdhva Hastasana). Exhale fold forward, hinging from the hips, hands or fingertips on mat or hands on blocks.
Heels root, calves widen and knee caps lift (leg muscles engaged). Hips in line with knees and ankles.
Hips firm in and back slightly, keeping outer hips engaged, hip bones point down. Abdominals hug, drawing chest toward thighs.
Shoulders draw down the back and away from the ears as the crown of head releases toward the floor, gaze is toward the shins.
Breath is steady, legs and abdominals engaged, shoulders continue to draw away from the ears as torso and head continue to release toward the floor.
To come out of the pose, on an inhalation mindfully rise back up to Extended Standing Pose (Urdhva Hastasana) and exhale to Mountain (Tadasana).
- Bend the knees
- Practice Half Standing Forward Fold (Ardha Uttanasana)
- Take feet wider apart
- Hold onto opposite elbows
Physical, Mental and Emotional Benefits
- Stretches hamstrings lower back and spinal extensors
- Mild inversion – can reduce blood pressure and soothe headaches
- Tones abdominal muscles and organs
- Calms the mind and soothes the nerves
- Cooling and grounding
- Hamstring Injury
- Herniated Disc or Back Injury
- Acid Reflux
- Very Low Blood Pressure
Mountain (Tadasana), Extended Standing Pose (Urdhva Hastasana), Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana), Half Standing Forward Fold (Ardha Uttanasana), Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana), Extended Standing Pose (Urdhva Hastasana), Mountain Pose (Tadasana).
Try Standing Forward Fold Pose On The Blog
- Surya Namaskar: A Step-By-Step Guide to Sun Salutations (For Beginners!)
- 5 Tips For Building Creative (And Safe) Yoga Sequences
- 3 Best Types of Yoga For Beginners That Even Your Grandma Can Do [+VIDEO]
- Wanna Try Yoga for Weight Loss? Read This First [Top Yoga Poses + Video]
- What Is Asana? One Of The Most Popular Yogi Terms Explained
- Yoga for Lower Back Pain: 7 Poses That Have Your Back
- The Basics of Hatha Yoga: 10 Classic Hatha Yoga Poses
A Few Notes
If you’ve been practicing sun salutations, then you’re already familiar with this pose! A standing forward fold is regularly used in yang styles of yoga such as hatha, vinyasa and ashtanga. Variations of the standing forward fold are occasionally included in restorative sequences to integrate the benefits of an inversion into a more gentle movement practice.
Whether your hands are planted on the ground, fingers are dusting the surface, or your arms are swinging in a gentle rag doll, you will generally feel a deep stretch in the hamstrings, lower back area and neck when forward folding.
In an active-style standing forward fold, the focus is on lengthen your upper body and ground down through your feet, hands or props. In order to find that sweet spot in the fold, it’s best to use ujjayi breath, so that when you inhale you find length in the body and in the breath, and when you exhale, you can draw the navel to the spine, activating the core to help find more space in the torso and enabling you to move deeper in the pose.
Standing with your feet hip distance apart or with feet together will dramatically affect the sensation and muscle groups recruited in this pose. If the forward fold feels too deep for you, you can always bend your knees, use blocks under your hands to bring the floor closer to your hands, or place your feet hip distance apart which will create a softer sensation in the hamstrings.
Do note that a forward fold is an inversion as long as your head is below your heart. Inversion can help to decrease blood pressure, reduce headaches and generally clear the mind with their cleansing effects. Forward folds create a calming effect on the nervous system, relieving stress and literally changing your perspective.
If you feel imbalanced or dizzy when inverting, send awareness and energy to grounding the feet.
As you anatomically bow to the ground, you are linking the energies of your root and crown chakra together. Forward folds on a whole activate the sacral chakra, which is located in the pelvis, hip and sacrum area. This chakra is associated with the element of water, which is all about flow, flexibility and freedom of our creativity and sexuality.
Although your yoga teacher may use words like delicious to describe a forward fold, beginners often feel differently! The most common source of discomfort in this pose is often due to tension in the hamstrings and neck, but with time, the body will find ease and release in the shape as a by-product of the practice.
Sneak Peak into My 300-Hour YTT - FREE Videos, Info Session, Bonuses!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- How To Make $5k Per Month As A Yoga Teacher
- How to Plan a Yoga Retreat That Earns 6 Figures
- Which Uplifted online yoga training is right for you?
- Creating Inclusive Yoga Spaces: Here’s What To Avoid Saying
- The Best Yoga Business Coaches to Skyrocket Your Income
- Traditional Yoga Class Plan Template (Tips for Yoga Sequencing)
- Best Blog Platform for Yoga Teachers
- Managing Cash Flow and Profit In Your Yoga Business
- The Top 5 Biggest Fears of New Yoga Teachers
- 13 Yoga Playlists for Every Style and Taste
- Why You Need A Yoga Intake Form (FREE download)
- How to Make a Logo for Your Yoga Business (No Design Skills Needed)
- This Cold Email Will Help You Land a Corporate Teaching Job
- This Cold Email Will Help You Land a Studio Teaching Job
- 9 Yoga Modifications for Pregnancy and How to Teach Them
- Our Expert Advice On How and Why To Teach Corporate Yoga
- How to Upgrade Your Yoga Alliance Certification Designation to 300 / 500 RYT
- How to Register Your YTT Certificate With Yoga Alliance (With Photos)
- How to Get Traffic to Your Yoga Website With SEO
- How to Update Your Yoga Alliance Teacher Profile Step-by-Step
- 6 Best Online Course Platforms For Yoga Teachers (Ranked)
- How To Make An Instagram Business Account As A Yoga Teacher
- 12 Actionable Tips For New Yoga Teachers Who Are Scared To Teach
- How To Prioritize Student Feedback On Zoom
- How To Teach Yoga On Zoom With Two Devices In 6 Easy Steps
- What Is Trauma Informed Yoga And Should I Get Certified?
- 10 Things You Must Do After Your Yoga Teacher Training
- 13 Types of Yoga Teacher Tax Deductions (And Other Tax Tips)
- My Exact Tech Tools For My Million Dollar Online Yoga Platform
- 10 Best FREE Facebook Groups For Yoga Teachers
- How To Log Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Hours
- The Only 7 Yoga Alliance Membership Benefits (Some Are Free)
- DSLR vs Smartphones: How To Choose The Right Microphone
- The Best Yoga Scheduling Software For Yoga Teachers
- 5 Affordable Yoga Teacher Insurance Plans You Need Right Now (Updated 2022)
- How To Create A Yoga Class Theme (+39 Yoga Themes)
- How To Safely Begin Teaching Yoga Post-COVID-19
- 115 Shocking Yoga Statistics That Nobody Talks About
- How to Build an Online Community As A Yoga Teacher (That Students Will Actually Pay For)
- How to Write The Perfect Yoga Liability Waiver
- 6 Tips To Create An Inviting Home Video Studio On A Budget
- How To Write A Yoga Teacher Bio That Helps You Stand Out
- 3 Best Tools To Launch A Yoga App (That You Can Actually Afford)
- Does Yoga Insurance Cover You If You Teach Online? Not Always.
- Want The Best Microphone For YouTube? Here Are My Top Picks
- How to Pivot To Teaching Yoga Online (For A Long Time)
- How to Record Yourself Teaching Yoga & Film Yoga Videos
- Private Yoga Lessons Cost: A Yoga Teacher’s Guide On How To Price Classes
- Making a Yoga Playlist? Where to Get Music for Your Online Classes
- Should You Quit Your Job To Teach Yoga? Probably Not
- 6 Steps to Get Private Yoga Clients (And Keep Them)
- 9 Reasons Why Teaching Yoga Online (*After* COVID19) Is Smart
- How Much Do Yoga Teachers Make? (And How To Earn More)
- 6 Crucial Online Marketing Tips for Budding Yoga Teachers
- How to Lead a Live Online Zoom Yoga Class
Learn how to do 11 of the most popular yoga poses correctly. Free video + PDF download.