(Tadasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Mountain Pose Prep & Practice
Breath is steady, legs, abdominals and arms energized and engaged, soften tops of shoulders away from ears. Find a comfortable standing position, and with the eyes closed, take a few deep breaths to come into your body with full awareness.
Stand at the top of mat, feet hip width apart, inside edges parallel. Lift and spread toes. Maintaining space between toes, ground feet, weight evenly distributed through all four corners of both feet. Thighs in a neutral position, the center seam of thighs point directly forward.
Engage thigh muscles, knee caps lifting slightly, inner thighs draw toward each other. Hips are level and point forward. Low abs firm in and up, knitting ribs, finding lengthen in front, sides and back of torso.
Arms gently rotate externally, palms face forward. Keeping the arms straight, pull your shoulder blades toward each other and down. Arms and hands energized, fingers spread. Shoulders stacked over hips.
Shoulders stacked over hips, inhale arms slightly forward and up over head. With your arms straight overhead, spread fingers, energizing hands and arms.
- Squeeze block between thighs
- Hands in prayer position (Anjali Mudra)
- Use wall or chair for balance (balance issues)
- Practice Tadasana in spine while seated (difficulty standing)
Physical, Mental and Emotional Benefits
- Returns body to anatomical neutral
- Strengthens small muscles in feet and ankles
- Improves clarity and mental focus
- Warms up thighs and tones low abs
- Calming and grounding
- Difficulty Standing (see modifications)
- Balance Issues (see modifications)
- Toe, Foot or Ankle Injuries
Mountain (Tadasana), Extended Standing Pose (Urdhva Hastasana), Chair (Utkatasana), Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana), Mountain (Tadasana).
Try Mountain Pose On The Blog
- What Is Asana? One Of The Most Popular Yogi Terms Explained
- 5 Tips For Building Creative (And Safe) Yoga Sequences
- Earthing Yoga 101: 6 Poses To Connect With The Earth (Root Chakra)
- Yoga For Runners: 7 Poses That Will Help You In The Long Run
- Yoga For Knee Pain: 7 Yoga Poses For Stronger Knees
- The Basics of Hatha Yoga: 10 Classic Hatha Yoga Poses
A Few Notes
Mountain pose is the foundation of all standing poses and is used for a moment of awareness in between postures. To practice mountain pose, stand with your feet comfortably apart. Keep your spine in a neutral position and your legs engaged. Keep your arms straight at your sides or hold your hands in prayer position, or the Anjali mudra. If this pose is too challenging for you, try the modifications listed above.
If this pose is too difficult for you, then you can try different variations and modifications to make it easier. If you cannot stand, then you can use a chair for this pose. If you use a chair, then keep your feet firmly planted on the ground and thigh muscles engaged. Sit up straight by using your core and back muscles to keep the spine in a neutral position. Pull your shoulder blades toward each other and keep your arms straight at your sides. With your eyes closed, take a few deep breaths. Let the top of your shoulders relax into the pose. Find your center and, if you’re comfortable with it, move into a quiet meditation.
Experience 3 Training Videos from Inside My 200-Hour Online YTT
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- What is Kriya Yoga? The Philosophy and Practice
- Uddiyana Bandha: Tapping Into Your Deep Core
- 4 Reasons Hasta Bandha Is Essential To Your Yoga Practice
- Vitarka Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Shakti Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Garuda Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Kali Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Shunya Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Varuna Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Vayu Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Samana Vayu: The Energy of Balance & How to Access It
- Apana Vayu: The Energy of Release & Surrender
- Udana Vayu: The Ascending Wind
- Prana Vayu: The Breath of Vitality
- Vyana Vayu: The Energetic Secret to Flow
- Saucha: 6 Ways Purify Your Body, Mind, Relationships & Space
- Aparigraha: 6 Ways To Completely Let Go In Yoga
- Brahmacharya: Yoga’s Guide To Sensual Indulgence
- Tapas In Yoga: 4 Ways This Niyama Will Light Up Your Life
- How To Practice Satya: Ask Yourself These 3 Simple Questions
- Mula Bandha: Unlock the Magic In 5 Simple Steps
- The Meaning of Anjali Mudra: Yoga’s Sacred Greeting
- Jalandhara Bandha: 4 Reasons Yogis of All Levels Should Practice It
- Pada Bandha: Your #1 Secret to Happy Feet
- Beyond Corpse Pose: 13 Questions About Restorative Yoga, Answered
- What is Asteya? 5 Powerful Ways to Practice Non-Stealing in Yoga and Life
- Understand the Koshas and Discover 5 Deeper Dimensions of You
- 4 Modern Ways to Deepen Your Svadhyaya (Self Study) Practice
- What are Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras?
- Why Ahimsa (Non-Violence) Improves All Areas of Your Life
- What Is Santosha? Yoga’s Philosophy of Happiness.
- Ishvara Pranidhana: How to Surrender to the Universe
- What Are Nadis? Your Guide to Energy Channels In Your Body.
- The Complete Glossary of Sanskrit Words Used in Yoga
- Where Did Yoga Originate: A Brief History of Yoga
Learn how to do 11 of the most popular yoga poses correctly. Free video + PDF download.