(Tadasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Mountain Pose Prep & Practice
Breath is steady, legs, abdominals and arms energized and engaged, soften tops of shoulders away from ears.
Stand at the top of mat, feet hip width apart, inside edges parallel. Lift and spread toes. Maintaining space between toes, ground feet, weight evenly distributed through all four corners of both feet. Thighs in neutral rotation, center seam of thighs point directly forward.
Engage thighs, knee caps lifting slightly, inner thighs draw toward each other. Hips are level and point forward. Low abs firm in and up, knitting ribs, finding lengthen in front, sides and back of torso.
Arms gently rotate externally, palms face forward. Arms and hands energized, fingers spread. Shoulders stacked over hips.
Shoulders stacked over hips, inhale arms slightly forward and up over head. Spread fingers, energizing hands and arms.
- Squeeze block between thighs
- Hands in prayer (Anjali Mudra)
- Use wall or chair for balance (balance issues)
- Practice Tadasana in spine while seated (difficulty standing)
Physical, Mental and Emotional Benefits
- Returns body to anatomical neutral
- Strengthens small muscles in feet and ankles
- Improves clarity and mental focus
- Warms up thighs and tones low abs
- Calming and grounding
- Difficulty Standing (see modifications)
- Balance Issues (see modifications)
- Toe, Foot or Ankle Injuries