With the entire world turning to the internet for everything from medical care to food delivery services, it’s only natural that a yoga teacher training would also go online.
But can you actually become a yoga teacher online?
After all, a major part of learning how to teach yoga is to work hands-on with a yoga teacher and to actually teach others…
Well, yeah, kind of. But depending on the training program, you can get that same experience and expertise all online.
If you’re thinking about becoming a yoga teacher but you can’t commit to an immersive program or the time that your local yoga studio demands, then an online teacher training might be a great option for you.
And if you do it right, then you don’t have to sacrifice any of the good stuff that a traditional training program comes with.
Here are a few things to look at when you’re trying to select the best online YTT program for you.
What To Expect In An Online Yoga Teacher Training
Wanna know a secret?
You can expect pretty much the same exact thing in an online teacher training program as you might get in an instructor certification program at your local yoga studio…
…even the same thing as you might find at a yoga school in some faraway place, too!
We can thank Yoga Alliance for that.
While Yoga Alliance is severely lacking in following through with their intended role in the yoga industry, they did a great just setting up a universal curriculum for instructor certification courses to follow.
The main difference between an in-person certification program and one done online is the actual face-to-face hours, which can be arranged with your lead yoga instructor if you’re keen on getting your RYT status.
This is actually the differentiating factor that earns you your RYT status with Yoga Alliance and what allows you to become a yoga instructor online.
So what’s in the curriculum for a 200-hour course, anyway?
- Techniques, Training and Practice: 100 Hours
- Teaching Methodology: 25 Hours
- Anatomy and Physiology: 20 Hours*
- Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers: 30 hours
- Practicum: 10 Hours
If you’re interested in eventually completing a 300-hour teacher training course, then you will get more information on advanced techniques and the business of yoga.
You might also like: How to Be a Yoga Instructor: 6 Things You MUST Know Before You Begin
Benefits Of An Online Yoga Teacher Training Program
There are obvious benefits to an online-based certification program, the main one being that you can do it from wherever you are. Some programs are self-paced so that you simply move through certain modules and complete an exam at the end of each module to progress onto the next.
Others, like mine, are more structured and interactive learning so that you join a class and develop a relationship with your lead instructor and peers along the way.
With my program, for example, you learn the material through modules and get your hands-on experience by recording yoga videos of yourself and sending me the videos. We also have regularly scheduled classes where we discuss what we learn and develop our skills.
Once the program is complete, you will likely take a final exam to establish your knowledge and earn an instructor certification that may or may not qualify you for RYT status. Be sure to check with your lead yoga instructor whether or not you have the option to become a certified yoga instructor through the program.
You might also like: How To Know If An Online YTT Is Legit: 8 Things To Look For
Drawbacks Of An Online Yoga Teacher Training Program
Of course, there are certain drawbacks to a strictly online course.
First, it’s sometimes harder to get to know the other practitioners in the program when you’re separated by a computer screen. While my program eliminates this by bringing all of the practitioners together through yoga videos and virtual classes held through each module.
Another major drawback for many people is that an online program does not automatically offer you a Yoga Alliance certification. This can easily be solved by choosing a program that offers a hands-on experience module, which satisfied YA’s in-person experience requirement.
You might also like: How to Choose a Yoga Teacher Training (That Won’t Rip You Off)
So, Can You Become A Yoga Teacher Online?
It really depends on which program you choose (and whether or not it fits your learning style).
Meaning, just because you can technically become a yoga instructor online doesn’t mean that this is the right option for you.
It’s important to really evaluate the training program to see if it’s high-quality. (There are many programs popping up that are scammy or just looking for a quick buck without truly offering you the education and knowledge you seek).
If you wanna know more about online programs, click the picture below and send me your email. I’ll reach out and send you more details and answer any questions you may have 🙂
Sneak Peak into My 300-Hour YTT - FREE Videos, Info Session, Bonuses!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- The Best Yoga Business Coaches to Skyrocket Your Income
- Traditional Yoga Class Plan Template (Tips for Yoga Sequencing)
- Best Blog Platform for Yoga Teachers
- Managing Cash Flow and Profit In Your Yoga Business
- The Top 5 Biggest Fears of New Yoga Teachers
- 13 Yoga Playlists for Every Style and Taste
- Why You Need A Yoga Intake Form (FREE download)
- How to Make a Logo for Your Yoga Business (No Design Skills Needed)
- This Cold Email Will Help You Land a Corporate Teaching Job
- This Cold Email Will Help You Land a Studio Teaching Job
- 9 Yoga Modifications for Pregnancy and How to Teach Them
- Our Expert Advice On How and Why To Teach Corporate Yoga
- How to Upgrade Your Yoga Alliance Certification Designation to 300 / 500 RYT
- How to Register Your YTT Certificate With Yoga Alliance (With Photos)
- How to Get Traffic to Your Yoga Website With SEO
- How to Update Your Yoga Alliance Teacher Profile Step-by-Step
- 6 Best Online Course Platforms For Yoga Teachers (Ranked)
- How To Make An Instagram Business Account As A Yoga Teacher
- 12 Actionable Tips For New Yoga Teachers Who Are Scared To Teach
- How To Prioritize Student Feedback On Zoom
- How To Teach Yoga On Zoom With Two Devices In 6 Easy Steps
- What Is Trauma Informed Yoga And Should I Get Certified?
- 10 Things You Must Do After Your Yoga Teacher Training
- 13 Types of Yoga Teacher Tax Deductions (And Other Tax Tips)
- My Exact Tech Tools For My Million Dollar Online Yoga Platform
- 10 Best FREE Facebook Groups For Yoga Teachers
- How To Log Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Hours
- The Only 7 Yoga Alliance Membership Benefits (Some Are Free)
- DSLR vs Smartphones: How To Choose The Right Microphone
- The Best Yoga Scheduling Software For Yoga Teachers
- 5 Affordable Yoga Teacher Insurance Plans You Need Right Now (Updated 2022)
- How To Create A Yoga Class Theme (+39 Yoga Themes)
- How To Safely Begin Teaching Yoga Post-COVID-19
- 115 Shocking Yoga Statistics That Nobody Talks About
- How to Build an Online Community As A Yoga Teacher (That Students Will Actually Pay For)
- How to Write The Perfect Yoga Liability Waiver
- 6 Tips To Create An Inviting Home Video Studio On A Budget
- How To Write A Yoga Teacher Bio That Helps You Stand Out
- 3 Best Tools To Launch A Yoga App (That You Can Actually Afford)
- Does Yoga Insurance Cover You If You Teach Online? Not Always.
- Want The Best Microphone For YouTube? Here Are My Top Picks
- How to Pivot To Teaching Yoga Online (For A Long Time)
- How to Record Yourself Teaching Yoga & Film Yoga Videos
- Private Yoga Lessons Cost: A Yoga Teacher’s Guide On How To Price Classes
- Making a Yoga Playlist? Where to Get Music for Your Online Classes
- Should You Quit Your Job To Teach Yoga? Probably Not
- 6 Steps to Get Private Yoga Clients (And Keep Them)
- 9 Reasons Why Teaching Yoga Online (*After* COVID19) Is Smart
- How Much Do Yoga Teachers Make? (And How To Earn More)
- 6 Crucial Online Marketing Tips for Budding Yoga Teachers
- How to Lead a Live Online Zoom Yoga Class
- How To Teach Yoga Online And Make Money (Like Me)
- How (And When) To Do Hands-On Adjustments
- 5 Steps to Landing Your First Yoga Studio Teacher Job (Ever)
- How To Ask For A Raise At Your Yoga Studio (That Isn’t Terrifying)