You’ve made it to the top of the rainbow bridge🌈 (the seven chakras). Congratulations, you’ve gone through the first six chakras and are ready for the final step to Universal Consciousness, the Crown Chakra.
Did you know, not only will you receive Divine Energy through this center but you’ll be GIVING it as well 🤯. Of course it’ll be hard to do any of that if your seventh energy center (sahasrara chakra) is blocked. So let’s dive deeper into the symptoms of blocked Crown Chakra and how to clear it.
Understanding the Crown Chakra
If you are moving from the bottom up your crown chakra comes after the third eye chakra. It deals a lot with inner wisdom, self knowledge and the spiritual world/spiritual growth. When blocked, you might have a hard time keeping a positive outlook or seeing the spiritual side of life.
Before going into the details of blockage let’s go over what the seventh chakra is and what characteristics are connected to it.
7th Chakra Basics
Sahasrara means “thousand petaled lotus” and is depicted as a beautiful lotus flower.
Element: this is debated among different yoga schools. Some say it is beyond the elements, others claim the element to be pure consciousness or thought.
Color: also debated between white or violet. Trust whatever you see.
Location: at the top of the head, or the crown of your head, right where the skull plates formed(you know, where babies have that soft spot before the skull connects and closes👶)
Think about the location of sahasrara chakra within the human body. It is located at the top of the head. Therefore, it connects directly to your brain and central nervous system. Meaning, it can affect your entire nervous system.
Think of it like this, as you sit you are moving primal energy, shakti, at the base of your body, up the spine to connect with the divine, shiva, up in the heavens and then bring it back down so that divine wisdom can come into your everyday life. This is similar to how the vagus nerve works. The vagus nerve is responsible for taking in sensory information (energy), sending that information to the brain. Then bringing the brain’s message (divinity) down to the body, thus triggering the parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest) or not. This affects the physical functions of the entire body.
Obviously then, this chakra is about a lot more than just trying to reach Samadhi.
When your crown chakra has energy flowing freely as it should, you’ll feel a mystical sense of wholeness. You feel like everything is as it should be and everything is going to work out. It is basically a bliss state where feelings of imbalance or anxiety melt away. There is no logical thought at this point, you’ve traveled above it and are just in the zone of serenity, joy or deep peace.
The crown chakra is the space of spiritual growth and well being. This is the place of ultimate wisdom and transcending your sense of self. It’s in this space you realize that you are greater than just your sense of self and that you are part of universal consciousness.
This energy center leads you to creating a deeper connection not only with your higher self or God but also recognizing that all things are divine and all things are connected through this divination. That everything can be a teacher to us.
When you realize this you then live in gratitude, faith and trust rather than fear and anxiety. It’s basically getting in touch with what you perceive to be YOUR higher power, whether that be God, Spirit, The Universe, or whichever creator your religious denomination encourages.
Crown Chakra Blockage Symptoms
The chakra system is just that, a system. Everything needs to work together as a whole. So it stands to reason that if the lower chakra is blocked then it will affect energy flowing through the other chakras. Be sure you are checking in with all your chakras for excessive or blocked energy so that you can get energy fluidly moving along all the channels up Sushumna Nadi through the crown and then back down.
As stated when looking at the previous chakras, it’s important to know not only about deficiency in a chakra but also excess so that you can better understand the different aspects of imbalance in each. You can have an overactive crown chakra, excessive, and/or an underactive crown chakra, deficient.
Remember, if you think of the chakras as flowers with petals, the crown chakra has one thousand petals!! That’s a lot of different areas of your life that can be affected by this specific energy center.
So let’s look at some symptoms of blocked crown chakra and overactive crown chakra. There can be physical symptoms, emotional symptoms, and/or behavioral symptoms. Let’s take a look at each to help guide you on your journey of awareness.
Physical Symptoms of Blocked Crown Chakra
- Dissociation from body
- Inability to focus
- Poor sleep
- Chronic fatigue/exhaustion
Emotional Symptoms of Blocked Crown Chakra
- Head in the clouds
Behavioral Symptoms of Blocked Crown Chakra
- Addicted to spirituality
- Self isolating
Take my chakra quiz to find your dominant chakra:
Crown Chakra Healing Techniques
Expand your sense of self. Remember, you aren’t the only one who has ever felt how you are feeling right now. Think about everyone else who has been affected by similar circumstances. Don’t take everything so personally and think about the others who have been there too. Then you won’t feel so alone. By expanding that awareness you begin your road to healing. Do this class to explore and heal your crown chakra.
Other sahasrara chakra healing techniques can include:
When thinking of crown chakra yoga poses, inversions can be a good choice to bring blood flow and energy to that crown area. Or poses where you are putting pressure on the top of your head, a yoga pose like rabbit pose for example, and postures of surrender.
- Downward facing dog
- Lotus pose or Half Lotus depending on your specific anatomy
- Forward folds
Regulating the breath with pranayama is a great way to bring balance into the seventh chakra. It brings your awareness inward and calms the body to be able to receive energy and let energy flow freely. Alternate nostril breathing (also known as Nadi Shodhana) can be especially helpful. It balances both sides of the brain and balances your energy body, draws the attention inward and can guide you toward enlightenment. This advanced kriya includes chanting and breathwork to access the crown.
There are a lot of great crown chakra affirmations, but here are five POWERFUL affirmations to bring connection and balance to that seventh chakra space:
- I release doubt and welcome faith.
- I am aligned with the highest vibrational frequency of love.
- I trust my intuition and listen to the wisdom of the universe
- I am a spiritual being in a physical body.
- I am pure, beautiful, radiant light.
Visualization & Meditation
Embrace the mystery. Use the questions that come up after meditation as an invitation to go deeper. If you see a big white light while meditating or maybe you randomly get a visualization of a train traveling on tracks. You’re probably like “huh?!”. This would be your time to explore the mystery and open the brain even further to release expectation and go deeper within yourself and ask “what’s the message there?”.
This type of meditation is something you have to do daily. You have to remind yourself daily through your meditation practice that you are divine essence and you are connected to Universal Intelligence.
Harvest your charge. Meaning, be conscious of how you are directing or discharging your energy. How do different things in your life affect your energy? For example TV. TV depletes your energy, it just sucks it up and it goes nowhere.
Being mindful of these things and then taking actions to either limit/avoid the energy depleting activities(like scrolling tiktok) and doing more energy boosting activities (like a 20 minute asana practice) is a great way to start healing your energy body.
It’s always a good idea to look into working with a professional energy healer as well. Someone who understands how exactly to assess these energy points and how to overcome obstacles and heal bringing balance.
Don’t forget smaller tools like healing crystals.
Stones for the crown chakra include:
- Amethyst – promotes spiritual connection, inner peace, and wisdom
- Moonstone – brings hope and inspiration
- Howlite – clears the mind of negative energy and brings balance
- Selenite – provides mental clarity and opens the seventh chakra
- Clear Quartz – promotes emotional and spiritual clarity
Add a little something extra with essential oils too. Lavender is an easily accessible oil and is great not only for calming the physical body but also expanding awareness.
Prevention and Maintenance
Attachment and ignorance are the demons of this chakra. When you choose attachments of the physical world, and to remain ignorant to the world around you, you close and block your crown from not only receiving the grace of Spiritual Consciousness but also giving back the essence of your own that longs for connection.
When you’ve blocked your crown chakra you disconnect your body from your spirit. You prevent Divine energy from coming back down through the channels of your body and forget that you are part of that divinity. This leads to cynicism, materialism, and depression. And that is no way to live your life. So it’s important to maintain a practice that keeps your mind open and connects you to Source.
Do this with your daily practice, add in meditations to bring the energy up through the other six chakras and into the seventh energy center. Here is a great practice to bring energy through all of your energy centers: The 7 Chakras Alignment Guided Meditation for Beginners | Chakra Balancing and Healing (30-min)
And don’t forget about the extended Chakra Challenge within the Uplifted Membership.
You can work with the chakras forever. They are just a tool you can use for self development. A way to explore and become more self aware.
The divine is infused in you and in everything. All of the spiritual work you do within your practice is just about remembering that you are a divine child of this incredible universe. Never forget that.
If you want to go deeper on this topic I have an amazing module all on the chakras in my 300 hour yoga teacher training.
- Explore my Chakras knowledge hub to learn more about the Chakras from the blog.
- Check out my YouTube channel and find some yoga classes that you can try out for yourself!
- Join Uplifted for exclusive chakra content that you can access right from the app. Take a deep dive into your practice with me this year!
Sneak Peak into My 300-Hour YTT - FREE Videos, Info Session, Bonuses!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Opening Throat Chakra Symptoms And How To Balance Vishuddha Chakra
- Heart Chakra Blocked Symptoms & Healing Techniques
- Chakra Opening Symptoms: Signs You’re Unblocking Your Chakras
- The Ultimate Dominant Chakra Test: Find Out Which Is Yours
- Blocked Sacral Chakra Symptoms & Healing Techniques
- Root Chakra Blockage Symptoms & How To Unblock It
- 7 Chakra Imbalance Symptoms: Energetic, Physical, And Emotional
- Solar Plexus Blocked Symptoms And How To Balance
- Samana Vayu: The Energy of Balance & How to Access It
- 15 Crown Chakra Affirmations to Embody Your Highest Self
- 15 Third Eye Chakra Affirmations to Deepen Spiritual Insight
- 15 Throat Chakra Affirmations for Confident Communication
- 15 Heart Chakra Affirmations to Unlock Unconditional Love
- 15 Sacral Chakra Affirmations for Joy & Emotional Healing
- 15 Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmations to Activate Personal Power
- 15 Root Chakra Affirmations for Essential Wellbeing
- What is the 8th Chakra and How Can We Tap Into It?
- What Are Nadis? Your Guide to Energy Channels In Your Body.
- Everything You Need To Know About Using Healing Stones
- Chakra Yoga: The Best Yoga Poses To Balance Your 7 Chakras
- What Are The Chakras And Kundalini Energy Flow? Here Is My Complete Breakdown.
- 35 Powerful Chakra Affirmations For Major Healing & Balancing
- Bija Mantras: The Chakra Mantras and Their Sounds
- The 7 Chakra Symbols Explained: Their Meaning & Shapes [+PICTURES]
- Sahasrara: Crown Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Ajna : Third Eye Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Vishuddha : Throat Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Anahata: Heart Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Manipura: Solar Plexus Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Svadisthana: Sacral Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- 5 Healing Ways to Balance Your Chakras (Right Now)
- Muladhara: Root Chakra Meditation For Healing and Balancing [VIDEO]
- Chakra Colors & Meanings: Ultimate Chakra Guide (Free Chart)
- The Meaning Behind The Top 9 Yoga Symbols (Before You Tattoo Them On Your Body)
- How To Ignite The Power Of The Seven Chakras