(Bhujangasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Cobra Pose Prep & Practice
Come to lie down on your stomach and take both hands underneath the shoulders. Elbows stay tucked in to the sides instead of splaying out. Press your hip points into the ground.
Push down through the tops of the feet and engage the legs so much so that your kneecaps lift up off the floor.
On an inhalation, engage the core and lift the chest forward and up. Lengthen the spine and keep a slight dip in the chin.
Send your shoulder blades down and back.
On an exhalation, slowly lower the chest back down with control.
- Take both hands out wide to either side of the mat and come to fingertips
- Place a block in between the thighs to keep the legs engaged
- Blanket underneath the hips
- Advanced: Start to straighten the arms
Physical, Mental, and Emotional Benefits
- Strengthens the muscles of the back body
- Expands the chest and throat
- Strengthens the core muscles
- Opens the lungs
- Spinal Injury
- Digestive issues