(Salabhasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Locust Pose Prep & Practice
Come to lie down on your stomach. Press both hip points into the mat and send your hands out to either side of you. Palms face down.
Ground the tops of the feet into the floor and use an inhalation to send your chest forward then up. Keep your core engaged and open up through the chest, sending the shoulders down and back. Dip the chin slightly.
Option to lift both legs off of the mat. Hips stay grounded down as you continue to reach the heart forward and toes back. Breathe.
To come out, use your core and an exhalation to slowly lower back down with control.
- Place a blanket underneath the hips
- Tops of the feet stay grounded into the floor
- Palms press into the mat
- Bring a block in between the thighs to engage legs
- Advanced: clasp hands behind you
Physical, Mental, and Emotional Benefits
- Increases spinal flexibility
- Strengthens the muscles of the back body
- Expands the chest and throat
- Strengthens the core muscles
- Opens the lungs
- Back Injuries
- Digestive Issues
Try Locust Pose On The Blog
Learn how to do 11 of the most popular yoga poses correctly. Free video + PDF download.