These past 5 days in Florence have been the best days of *my entire year.*
I’m in beautiful Florence, strolling cobblestone streets, sampling ALL the bruschetta, and preparing to host my “Ignite Your Renaissance” yoga retreat in a few weeks. I’m ecstatic to be here now, but shocked at how close this retreat came to not happening at all.
Last year, I was majorly afraid to host a retreat in a foreign country, completely on my own.
and set in.of doubt and began to creep into my . began to settle in as an unrealistic
What if nobody wanted to come? (hello, )
What if I couldn’t handle it on my own? (nice-to-meet-you, )
What if, what if, what if…
and ruled my for so many months leading up to the retreat that I began super about it all!
Now that I’m here in Italy, where everything is SO easy, fear and doubt I experienced in the months leading up to this trip have sort of dissolved out of my . of the crippling
Reflecting back, I’m so glad I didn’t let my fear dictate my choices.
Don’t get me wrong, it was a lot of work to keep my and focused on practicing in my daily to avoid spinning out in the that always found their way back into my . at bay. I practiced a lot of
The entire leading up to the retreat taught me a valuable lesson…
…no matter how advanced a student (or teacher) you are, are present forever.
In fact, this guided . is partly what inspired me to create a
This guided can be a powerful tool in getting out from under the heavy weight of . If you take the each day to address this underlying fear that is getting in the way of you reaching your goals, then day by day it will become a littler bit less overwhelming.
Remember to stay in the fear and have over you. with . The more that you on the beautiful that you are living, the less power
Want a little help on how to stay in the ? Here are three tips to help you overcome your fear and take control of your .
3 Tips to Overcome Fear and
Learning how to navigate waters is an invaluable tool that will help you throughout the rest of your . It can also bring you tremendous peace and in ways that maybe you thought wasn’t possible.
Believe me, I’ve been there.
Learning some of the deeper principles of yoga philosophy helps. Like understanding the negative mind as one layer of your mental body.
Plus, the is incredible. Combined with and a few perspective shifts, you can begin living your free of too. Here are my three tips to get ahold of the that is holding your hostage in your daily :
1. Don’t Judge
If you often (like me), don’t judge yourself!
The first step is to overcoming your fear is to realize that your fear is not your identity.
It is your like a security blanket that no longer serves you. It is your ‘s reactions to previous and trauma in your , a survival mechanism that no longer serves you., clinging onto
When you use your yoga and meditation practice to get grounded, you’re able to realize all the voices in your head (including fear) are just like passing clouds. YOU are the sky behind the clouds. You can simply observe your fear without getting caught up in the story it’s telling you.
You are not your fear.
As you learn how to observe your , they will have less of a hold on you and your identity. , , ,
2. Uncover the Value
I firmly believe that our bodies and minds *love* us, want what’s best for us, and are constantly striving to heal. When viewed through this lens, you fear is a valuable friend. Just like a newborn infant can only communicate through crying, fear can only get your attention by scaring you.
Recognize this, then choose go deeper.
Underneath the current of your emotions is a valuable message.
For example, I realized a lot of my fear around planning this retreat had to do with not having total control over the experience. Instead of letting a tour company assist or make decisions for me, I decided to control every aspect of the trip myself. Once I did this, even though it seemed counterintuitive, I was way *less* stressed.
This is a great example of how fear can shed light on something that makes little sense when viewed through logic, but is actually immensely valuable.
Fear is one of the most powerful channels to connect with what your innermost self truly needs and wants.
You just need to ignore fear’s scary stories and dig deeper for the real message.
3. Be Proactive
Don’t let fear nag away at you and don’t listen to its surface level woes. Make to drop down into your yoga or meditation practice with the intention of uncovering what’s happening at a deeper level.
Then take action immediately. This may mean having a difficult conversation, pushing yourself in a way that feels uncomfortable, or taking a new risk.
It may mean taking a before taking action and it may mean distancing yourself from certain .
Don’t delay. I promise you’ll empowered and happy, immediately.
Then you can say: “Hey fear, thanks for helping me figure this out!”
Here in Italy, I’ve been practicing a cell-phone free, camera-free lifestyle and trying to be fully present in Florence. Here are a few of the photos I’ve managed to take so far.
Did you know Michelangelo was a master anatomist and lover of science? He dissected hundreds of bodies! I The Renaissance was the marriage of art and science, just like yoga is a blend of science and spirituality.
My mom is here with me helping me find all the best off-the-beaten path lunch spots. Here we are in a lemon grove 🙂
Experience 3 Training Videos from Inside My 200-Hour Online YTT
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- What is Kriya Yoga? The Philosophy and Practice
- Uddiyana Bandha: Tapping Into Your Deep Core
- 4 Reasons Hasta Bandha Is Essential To Your Yoga Practice
- Vitarka Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Shakti Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Garuda Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Kali Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Shunya Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Varuna Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Vayu Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Samana Vayu: The Energy of Balance & How to Access It
- Apana Vayu: The Energy of Release & Surrender
- Udana Vayu: The Ascending Wind
- Prana Vayu: The Breath of Vitality
- Vyana Vayu: The Energetic Secret to Flow
- Saucha: 6 Ways Purify Your Body, Mind, Relationships & Space
- Aparigraha: 6 Ways To Completely Let Go In Yoga
- Brahmacharya: Yoga’s Guide To Sensual Indulgence
- Tapas In Yoga: 4 Ways This Niyama Will Light Up Your Life
- How To Practice Satya: Ask Yourself These 3 Simple Questions
- Mula Bandha: Unlock the Magic In 5 Simple Steps
- The Meaning of Anjali Mudra: Yoga’s Sacred Greeting
- Jalandhara Bandha: 4 Reasons Yogis of All Levels Should Practice It
- Pada Bandha: Your #1 Secret to Happy Feet
- Beyond Corpse Pose: 13 Questions About Restorative Yoga, Answered
- What is Asteya? 5 Powerful Ways to Practice Non-Stealing in Yoga and Life
- Understand the Koshas and Discover 5 Deeper Dimensions of You
- 4 Modern Ways to Deepen Your Svadhyaya (Self Study) Practice
- What are Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras?
- Why Ahimsa (Non-Violence) Improves All Areas of Your Life
- What Is Santosha? Yoga’s Philosophy of Happiness.
- Ishvara Pranidhana: How to Surrender to the Universe
- What Are Nadis? Your Guide to Energy Channels In Your Body.
- The Complete Glossary of Sanskrit Words Used in Yoga
- Where Did Yoga Originate: A Brief History of Yoga