I just hosted a week long luxury yoga vacation in Italy. But when I asked people for feedback about the “best” part of the trip it wasn’t our hotel spa, the incredible Renaissance art, or even my yoga classes — Ha!
What people told me they appreciated the most was being immersed in a group of amazing fellow yogis, all dedicated to having a positive outlook.
So many people told me, “I need more of this!” (If you’re curious about retreats, join me in San Diego this September).
While our trip was amazing, not every single little thing went perfectly on our Italian vacation.
Luggage was lost. Flights were delayed. Trains stopped for no reason. Meals took a long time to arrive. Someone fell off a bike.
But everyone in our group stayed in “the Yoga Zone.”
People stayed patient, pleasant and POSITIVE.
This made it a joy to travel together and explore.
Today, I’d like to challenge you to be more positive about whatever is going on in your life at this moment.
1. Get Grateful
2. Stay Positive
3. Cultivate Patience
Watching my last Italian sunset with a cappuccino in hand, I felt a tidal wave of happiness coming off the success of the retreat. Everyone told me the trip far exceeded their expectations. So it felt like bucket of cold water hurled in my face when I woke up at 4:30am to discover:
a) My flight home had been cancelled
b) I was rescheduled to fly out of a completely different Italian city over an hour away
c) I wouldn’t get home until 6 hours later than expected with a very long layover in Germany
Years ago, pre-yoga, this kind of situation would have made me pretty mad. I’d have felt victimized. Yelled at the airline (which actually never even phoned or informed me). I’d have felt a lot of frustration that my post-retreat yoga high was forced to come to a halt so quickly.
Instead, I practiced staying positive.
As opposed to focusing on the inconvenience, I focused on the fact the timing of the next train I had to take was far enough away that I had time to do a 7-minute forward fold (one of my all-time favorite restorative stretches).
I decided my unexpectedly long layover would enable me to finish all my accounting and paperwork from the trip, so I’d arrive home feeling even more settled and organized.
I continued to think about how lucky I was to be arriving home TODAY at all, as opposed to tomorrow or next week.
Yoga teaches us that our natural state is BLISS. We are always happy at deepest core, but our ever-wavering monkey-mind blurs the tranquility we all have beneath the surface of what’s going on.
Each moment, we have the choice to focus on the positive and stay blissed-out, or spiral into negativity.
Yoga philosophy reminds us that every challenging situation is an opportunity to work through our Karma and arrive closer to our big purpose in life. We can move through difficult moments kicking-and-screaming, or we choose to let the ups-and-downs recommit us to our practice and balance the positive mind.
Focus on the positive things in your life. Get creative. Uncover the positive aspects of the negative.
Need positivity and support right now? Try out my members-only community, Uplifted, today for free. ==> https://www.brettlarkin.com/uplifted/
Below are the recent classes on Youtube you may have missed:
Experience 3 Training Videos from Inside My 200-Hour Online YTT
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- What is Kriya Yoga? The Philosophy and Practice
- Uddiyana Bandha: Tapping Into Your Deep Core
- 4 Reasons Hasta Bandha Is Essential To Your Yoga Practice
- Vitarka Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Shakti Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Garuda Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Kali Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Shunya Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Do It?
- Varuna Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Vayu Mudra: What It Is and How Do You Use It?
- Samana Vayu: The Energy of Balance & How to Access It
- Apana Vayu: The Energy of Release & Surrender
- Udana Vayu: The Ascending Wind
- Prana Vayu: The Breath of Vitality
- Vyana Vayu: The Energetic Secret to Flow
- Saucha: 6 Ways Purify Your Body, Mind, Relationships & Space
- Aparigraha: 6 Ways To Completely Let Go In Yoga
- Brahmacharya: Yoga’s Guide To Sensual Indulgence
- Tapas In Yoga: 4 Ways This Niyama Will Light Up Your Life
- How To Practice Satya: Ask Yourself These 3 Simple Questions
- Mula Bandha: Unlock the Magic In 5 Simple Steps
- The Meaning of Anjali Mudra: Yoga’s Sacred Greeting
- Jalandhara Bandha: 4 Reasons Yogis of All Levels Should Practice It
- Pada Bandha: Your #1 Secret to Happy Feet
- Beyond Corpse Pose: 13 Questions About Restorative Yoga, Answered
- What is Asteya? 5 Powerful Ways to Practice Non-Stealing in Yoga and Life
- Understand the Koshas and Discover 5 Deeper Dimensions of You
- 4 Modern Ways to Deepen Your Svadhyaya (Self Study) Practice
- What are Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras?
- Why Ahimsa (Non-Violence) Improves All Areas of Your Life
- What Is Santosha? Yoga’s Philosophy of Happiness.
- Ishvara Pranidhana: How to Surrender to the Universe
- What Are Nadis? Your Guide to Energy Channels In Your Body.
- The Complete Glossary of Sanskrit Words Used in Yoga
- Where Did Yoga Originate: A Brief History of Yoga