(Sukhasana): Techniques, Benefits, Variations
Easy Pose Prep & Practice
Come to a comfortable cross-legged position, knees stacked over the feet (if accessible).
Hands release onto lap, palms up or down.
Knit the ribs in and up, finding length in the front of the body, the back of the body and sides of the body. Pelvis and spine are upright and neutral.
Lift and open through the heart chest and collar bones, shoulders center over hips. On an exhalation, soften the tops of the shoulders away from the ears.
Head centers over pelvis, chin level to the floor, gaze is soft, breath is steady. Stay here for several rounds of breath
Switch the cross of the legs and repeat.
- Bolster or blanket under hips/seat (knee or low back issues)
- Practice with back to a wall (low back issues)
- Practice in a chair with feet flat on the ground (knee, low back or hip issues)
- Blocks under knees (knee/hip issues)
Physical, Mental and Emotional Benefits
- Strengthens the spinal muscles
- Hip opening
- Promotes proper posture
- Induces calmness of mind
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Hip, Knee or Low back Injury (see modifications)