Getting a good night’s sleep is incredibly important for our overall health and well-being. If you’ve ever had trouble falling asleep or staying asleep, then you’ve certainly felt its negative effects.
Just one restless night leads us to a day full of fatigue, short tempers, and poor decision making.
What’s worse is that sleepless nights can lead to acute mental health issues, like anxiety, depression, and slow mental processing.
A good night’s sleep is essential to our well-being and is an important part to leading a healthy life. Even so, many of us struggle to fall asleep at night or to stay asleep all the way until the morning.
Luckily, there are many ways to remedy this. My personal favorite is through mindfulness meditation for sleep.
What is Meditation for Sleep?
If you take a look at any meditation app, you will notice that there are loads of guided meditations for sleep. These meditation programs often draw upon the basic tenets of a mindfulness practice, using breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation exercises, and basic counting exercises to help focus the brain on rest and relaxation.
Just like meditation helps bring awareness to the present moment and out of our worst-case-scenario thoughts that spiral us into a fit of anxiety or depression, it also helps people deal with sleep problems by doing much of the same.
Many meditation programs allow you to pair the guided meditations for sleep with nature sounds so that when you slip into a deliciously restorative sleep, you are not jolted awake by other sounds that inevitably pop up throughout the night.
And finally, you can get a good night’s sleep.
If you’re new to mindfulness or meditation, don’t worry. All it takes is a bit of practice and guidance. Once you go through a few sleep guided meditations, you’ll be ready to lead yourself into a full night’s sleep any night of the week.
Until then, I invite you to try my sleep guided meditation.
10-Minute Guided Meditation for Sleep Video Transcription
Hello my friends, I’m Brett Larkin. Welcome back to my channel and an especially huge welcome if you’re new. I’m so honored to be offering you these meditations with Yogi Surprise. It’s a monthly subscription box full of inspiring yoga pieces to heighten your daily yoga practice and cultivate self-love. Write NAMASTE in the comment box below if you’re excited about meditating today. Please give this video a thumbs-up at the end if you enjoy our time together.
Prepare for deep and restful sleep with me in this body scan meditation. I’ve designed this for you to do lying down, on the floor, or in your bed. Make sure you’re as comfortable as possible. Consider placing a cushion under your knees and an eye pillow over your eyes. Dim the lights. Do anything you can to cultivate a sense of relaxation.
Let’s begin. Find a position that’s most comfortable for you.
Our intention is to drift into sleep. Sleep is one of the most natural experiences in our lives. The body just knows how to do it. As you slow down and soften your breathing, welcome in this feeling of intentional relaxation, so you can sleep deeply, easily, naturally. Observe your body. Notice the comfort of the surface beneath you, supporting your back.
Feel held here. Allow your back and hips to rest. Relax into the surface beneath you. As you ease into relaxation you may notice that the mind becomes more or less active. Simply allow whatever thoughts are present to scan by like passing clouds.Let them be as they are, and allow them to let you relax even deeper.
Feel the weight of your hips, your side body, you back, your head, all supported by the surface beneath you. Tell the body gently now, relax. Soften the palms of the hands. Relax the soles of the feet. Allow the space around and behind your eyes to soften and relax. Imagine what it would feel like now, if a warm wave of relaxation were to move over you, comforting and soothing.
Notice that familiar sensation of relaxation cascading down your head, your shoulders, your arms. Observing the weight of the body as the muscles relax, sinking deeper into the surface beneath you. Feel your lower body supported. And as each breath moves in and out of the body, allow it to comfort any remaining thoughts, with this soothing sense of relaxation.
Release your hips. Feel effortlessly, relaxation gliding down both legs, all the way to the soles of the feet. Feeling connected and complete. From the very crown of your head all the way down to the soles of your feet, you’re cradled in warmth and comfort. Keep guiding your awareness inward now, gently moving towards a deep and restful sleep.
Releasing all expectation. Just being present to the weight of the body, observing your sensations. The natural process of sleep has already begun. Each breath guiding you deeper and deeper into rest. As this meditation nears its conclusion, maybe you’re already asleep, and if you’re not, you’re on your way. Allow yourself to dip further and further into deep rest.
Learn how to do 11 of the most popular yoga poses correctly. Free video + PDF download.
Find more yoga sequences by benefit.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- 9 Yoga Poses For PMS For A Smoother Cycle
- Yoga For Emotional Release: 8 Postures For Peace
- Yoga For Fertility: 10 Yoga Poses For Fertility Support
- Yoga for Bloating: 9 Yoga Poses for Relief
- Yoga For Depression: 10 Poses For Emotional Relief
- 10 Yoga Poses For Period Cramps That Will Ease The Pain
- Yoga For Women: 10 Yoga Poses For Every Stage Of Life
- Yoga For Stress Relief: 10 Poses You Can Do Right Now
- Yoga for Seniors: 10 Gentle Yoga Poses for Older Adults
- Yoga For Arthritis: 9 Poses For Joint Pain Relief
- Yoga for Sciatica: 10 Poses to Relieve Sciatica Pain
- Yoga for Sleep: 10 Poses to Do Before Bed
- Yoga For Athletes: 7 Poses For Strength, Flexibility and Stamina
- Yoga for Neck Pain: 7 Poses for Neck Flexibility and Strength
- Yoga for Lower Back Pain: 7 Poses That Have Your Back
- Stiff Shoulders? Try This Yoga For Shoulder Pain
- Yoga For Scoliosis: 7 Yoga Poses For A Stronger Back
- Yoga For Knee Pain: 7 Yoga Poses For Stronger Knees
- Yoga For Migraines: 7 Yoga Poses That Will Ease Tension
- 10 Yoga Poses For Hip Pain That Anyone Can Do
- Wanna Be More Flexible? Try These 9 Yoga Poses For Flexibility
- Yoga For Anxiety: 10 Calming Yogic Practices To Ground You
- At Home Yoga Challenge: 7 Day, 21 Day, And 30 Day (Totally FREE)
- A Slow, Sweet Hatha Yoga Sequence for Beginners [+VIDEO]
- Tight Hips? Try These 7 Yoga Poses for Tight Hip Flexors and Psoas Release [with PHOTOS]
- Top 7 Yoga Poses For Constipation That Will Clear Your Tubes Freakishly Fast [With PHOTOS]
- 10 Yoga Poses for Weight Loss (With Pictures)
- 3 Best Types of Yoga For Beginners That Even Your Grandma Can Do [+VIDEO]
- Uplifted Featured Member: Jeff
- Tight Hips? Know if Your Hips are Tight *30-Second Quiz*
- When It’s Okay to Be Selfish: Myofascial Release Tools for Self Myofascial Release